A place where I can dish about the world, pop culture, and my life. I may be talking to no one, but at least I'm talking.

Monday, August 15, 2011

A defense of the horror genre








After recently watching FD5 I recalled why most people dismiss the horror genre, whether it be movies, games, or novels. Most consider them by only one sub genre; the slasher/body count film. They are gore and not much else, usually poorly written, and have no redeeming social value most of the time outside of temporary jolts. But to only consider those does a disservice to the craft.


Most horror is not exactly about death. It is about fear, and discomfort, and the unknown. Some of the best horror/psychological films had no deaths, or very few. For example Spiral (2007) has to be one of the more nerve wracking psychological horror films I've ever seen. It is the definition of a slow burn film, prodding you minute by minute. You know something bad is going to happen. You just don't know when. And when the double twist ending hits you like a sledgehammer, you can barely think about what you have witnessed.

Or...I Saw The Devil (2010). A contender to the throne of most disturbing serial killer film ever *(up there with Se7en). A film that expounds of erosion's of morality in the pursuit of revenge, base human natures, and just plain horrifying imagery and actions, ISTD is an epic achievement that reaches for the heart of darkness and clutches it. When it is over you feel emotionally drained, but overtly satisfied.
These are only two examples but others are there. I just don't have time for them.


Until next time, fly high and fly well.


















1 comment:

  1. I have no choice but to credit you with my knowledge of these two movies. Both are in my DVD collection and I regularly uphold them as good examples of true horror.
    Spiral is probably one of the best low budget horror movies that doesn't involve a cleaver or a chainsaw.
    I Saw the Devil is currently my favorite Korean movie ever. Meaning I rank it over The Man from Nowhere, Chaser, The Host, and Oldboy. Yes Oldboy. Sue me.
    (To be fair Oldboy is great and one of those movies you need to see before you die, but I have my preferences.)

    ReplyDelete