A place where I can dish about the world, pop culture, and my life. I may be talking to no one, but at least I'm talking.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Retro gaming


This post may not interest too many people but whatever. This is my blog dammit.


Last weekend I bought a new gaming system. Not new per se but new to me.


Raven bought a Sega Dreamcast.


I found a guy off of Craiglist that was looking to sell his for 35 dollars. I met the guy and paid him and the thing works like a charm. Made a separate deal with him for 3 additional games for 5 dollars.

So why did I buy a gaming system that has been "dead" for almost a decade?

1) I always wanted one.

I have been a loyal Sony gamer since my first Playstation. But when this thing was out when I was 13 or so I had to admit it was cool. But I had my Sony system and I couldn't afford a console on my own and I wasn't going to be greedy and ask for one (the folks would of said no anyway). This want of a Dreamcast just popped up in the past couple months but I guess it was always been in the back of my mind.

2) A low cost investment.

Between the two deals, for forty dollars I got the system, four controllers, two VMU memory cards, three rumble packs, and five games. I additionally bought another rare game off ebay. To make my total spending 60 bucks, the cost of a new PS3 game. Not too shabby.

3) A new library of stuff to play.

Like I said, the system always looked cool. And I really wanted to play a few of the games. Now I can. Though I will be paying an arm and a leg for a few on Ebay, most of the stuff I want to buy isn't too pricey overall. I am not always concerned with the best looking graphics like some gamers are. I just want a game that is fun.

Anyways, it is always good to back sometimes. As they say, you can never know where you're going, till you know where you've been.

Until next time, fly high and fly well.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the Dreamcast was a nice system that I wish survived a bit longer. But anyway the graphics and hardware on it were impressive for their day and supposedly it was the first console to feature online play and/or internet compatibility. Definitely a technical achievement that few understood at the time. Take care of that thing Raven.
    So say we all,
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete