A place where I can dish about the world, pop culture, and my life. I may be talking to no one, but at least I'm talking.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blu Ray Gouge






Blu-ray discs have been on the market for about 2 years now. I have about 20 of them right now. I am very case by case with buying them because they are expensive and not every movie deserves the extra cash. I only buy them for a few reasons.



1)If the movie has great cinematography that will look better with a sharper picture.



(E.G. Hanna, Kingdom of Heaven, The American)




2) If they are cheap



Benjamin Button Criterion for 10 bucks? I'm game.



3)If there is a 2 dollar difference between standard and blu-ray, and I know it's a good film I'll watch alot.



4)Or I have moviestop credit to offset the price point.



However, I have been noticing the studios have been packaging most releases with extra discs to jack up the price. DVD copies and digital copy discs. they are unnecessary and just piss off the smart consumer.



1)DVD copies. I bought the Blu-Ray for exactly that. If I wanted a DVD I would of just bought the fucking DVD!



2)Digital copies. This is a novel thing. Transfer films to portable devices like laptops and Ipods. I have yet to use any of mine. Does anybody really?



The studios might say they are giving consumers choice. I disagree. They are forcing this "choice" on consumers that don't want/need them. All for the almighty dollar. In a down economy that is shameful. Dump the superfluous and work on bringing the cost down. That's how to make consumers embrace you.



Until next time, fly high and fly well.

1 comment:

  1. Between this and movie studios squeezing digital download services (Netflix) to death, the consumer is ever more forced to shell out more money for the Blu-Ray edition, unless they want a bare bones version. Fortunately for the average consumer (I say that sarcastically), they usually don't give a shit or are completely unaware of special features, digital copies, or the director's cut and will buy the cheaper DVD anyway. Until Blu-Ray players and their discs are cheaper most people will grab the DVD nine times out of ten.

    ReplyDelete