A place where I can dish about the world, pop culture, and my life. I may be talking to no one, but at least I'm talking.

Monday, November 21, 2011

I saw the Devil…and he looked just like me.

For anyone that knows my film tastes know I like horror films. They would also know that most of them don’t bother me. Part of it is being desensitized from seeing so many, part is because most horror movies don't really terrify me. The main reason horror movies don’t bother me is that fiction cannot be as horrific as fact. Movies don’t bother me. It’s what real life people do to each other that does.

So I would like to discuss what I consider one of the most horrifying movies of 2011. The Devil’s Double concerns Latif Yahia, who was forced to become the body double of Uday Hussein, Saddam’s coked out, psychotic son. Uday was a man that had no conscience, too much money, and immunity any prosecution for what he did because his father was in power.

I am never a person to wish ill on anyone, but there are certain people that you are just glad they are dead. Uday Hussein is one of those people. No matter our reasons for the Iraq War, I can at least say we took out a few monsters. Who knows how many people he would hurt if he was still alive today.

This a man who tortured his country’s soccer team when they didn’t win enough. He raped schoolgirls and tossed their bodies in the sea never to be found. He openly murdered with dozens of witnesses. Yet, nothing could be done about it because Dad was in power. His untouchable nature only increased his delusions and depraved nature.

Latif Yahia was an honorable man who was roped in Uday’s world and had take part of the man’s madness. He was able to escape after several years but he would never be the same. As for Uday, he survived several assassination attempts only to be taken out in 2003 along with his brother by U.S. forces.

Edmund Burke once said that “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” Well it took over two decades for something to be done about the Hussein family. And though the Hussein men are now gone from the world, there are numerous murderers that take their place all over the world.

So yeah, Freddy Kruger doesn’t bother me. He’s a joke compared to the real life monsters that populate our world.

Until next time, fly high and fly well.

1 comment:

  1. Okay I fixed my crappy AIM account problems, so I am free to comment again. As for the topic on hand, I fully intend to watch this at some point, maybe a rental or something of the sort. But I can say that I watched House of Saddam and it was great. Maybe you should check it out.

    ReplyDelete