A place where I can dish about the world, pop culture, and my life. I may be talking to no one, but at least I'm talking.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My favorite holiday film is Die Hard




Okay I know I'm going to get some weird looks for this statement. Believe me, I have before so I want to explain the awesomeness of Die Hard as a holiday film.




1) Christmas imagery




Okay this one is particularly simple example. The film (and it's less christmasy sequel Die Hard 2: Die Harder) takes place during a Christmas Eve party at Nakatomi plaza. Of course the place is decorated accordingly. The use of a Santa's hat on the first dead terrorist. Christmas tape used a crucial plot point during the climax etc. All iconography of the holidays.




2) "Now I have a machine gun. Ho-Ho-Ho"




No real point here, just a great fucking line.




3) Underlying theme of family of protecting what's yours.




John Mcclane had come to Los Angles to patch up with his wife, despite some recent struggles. When Hans and his buddies take over, Mcclane must fall back on to his training to not only take down the hostages, but save who he loves most. He has think quick and play smart, for one false move could mean the end of him.




4) The Value of life lost.




As Ellis, Takagi, and a handful of FBI agents learn, life is fragile and can be voided in a split subject. Die Hard may have an action movie coating, but speaks of the frailty of life and the world matters not it is the holidays when you could be taken from the world. Thus the value of times we can be together is ever the more pertinent.




5) It's a holiday film the guys can stand.




Let's be honest. Holiday flicks suck. With perhaps the exception of Love Actually (don't judge it has Liam "fucking" Neeson in it) and the first two Home Alone's holiday films are usually coated in so much syrup you'll crash out on the sugar. Add to the dreck ABC family puts out every year, it can be hard for a guy to have suitable holiday entertainment. Well look no further than Die Hard 1 & 2. Just like Argyle says "This is Christmas music!" to Mcclane when he plays Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis", if anyone asks if you could watch a Christmas movie, you can look to them with a straight face and say,




"This IS a Christmas movie!"


Until next time, fly high and fly well.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. This has been my sentiment for years and I have received criticism for this as well, but I usually told them to "fuck off" or something so it totally fits my personality. Oh and I watch this every Christmas with some other alternative Christmas movies - "The Proposition," "Battle of the Bulge," sometimes "Saints and Soldiers," and "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

    ReplyDelete