A place where I can dish about the world, pop culture, and my life. I may be talking to no one, but at least I'm talking.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy joins the club

Amy Winehouse, a talented but very troubled singer died today at 27.

She joins an elite club that no one strives to be a member of; the "27 club" musicians and other artists taken before their time at the age of 27.

Admittedly, I was not a fan of her music. And her personal issues splashed across the news made her something of a punchline. As I saw on Facebook, most were cracking jokes. Most saw this coming, but that gives no right to speak ill of the dead.

But if you are, this is what I say. I'm actually pissed off at her. Reason being, she was talented, and she could of went far. But she let her bullshit consume her and she pissed away her talent. It is a funny thing how those who are potentially brilliant are so self destructive. When you knowingly fall into a bottomless pit what kind of message does that send to other people? That one must be screwed up to be famous, to truly breathe full potential?

We always like to say people are taken before their time. But for Amy she held a grenade and pulled the pin.

Let me put it this way; Rappers sing about the gang life and the hood. They don't LIVE there.

So Amy, whether it was drugs or not, you could've talked about substance abuse, that you weren't going to rehab in your songs. That didn't give you the right to have life imitate art. You squandered god given talent and for that I cannot feel sorry for you. I hope you find peace but your willingness to self implode despite the opportunities others would of killed for is not tragic, but sad in a way you probably never intended.

Until next time, fly high and fly well.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. Katty Perry should have joined instead. Although Travis would have my head for intimating that she join such a sacred institution, so maybe I should shut up.

    ReplyDelete